Past and Present
Golf has been played in Budleigh Salterton since 1894, with the original Budleigh Salterton Golf Club being a nine hole course situated on the east bank of the River Otter. Although benefiting from similarly commanding views to those of the current course there were problems with the location, notably the lack of a full 18 holes and difficult access.
East Devon Golf Club as we know it today opened on 31 March 1902 on a heathland course laid out by Captain Robert Tosswill. The opening was celebrated by Charles Edward Pine-Coffin, the newly-formed club’s first captain, driving off the 1st (now 3rd) tee.
The first 25 years of its existence saw changes made to the course by the Club Secretary, Mr R.C. N. Palairet, and Herbert Fowler of Westward Ho!
The current course as we see it today, was largely created in the 1920’s by one of the most, if not the most, significant course architects of all time, Harry S. Colt. James Braid added to the Colt design during his time as course advisor in the 1930’s, his main legacy being the current 8th hole and 18th green and surrounding bunkers.
During its 120 year history East Devon Golf Club has played host to Royalty, H.R.H The Prince of Wales (the future Edward VIII) played the course in 1921; famous sporting names including Australian cricketers Sir Donald Bradman, Richie Benaud, Greg and Ian Chappell; celebrities and golfing greats such as Peter Alliss who considered the view from the 16th tee to be “one of the best views in golf”.
More recently the Club has become an England Golf championship venue, hosting the 2012 Ladies County Finals, the 2017 English Club Championship and the 2018 English Girls’ Open Championship.
Check out our heritage corner in the clubhouse during your visit.